Friday, September 14, 2007

Scribbly

It's now officially birthday season. All of my friends and family (except my brother, 'cause he just has to be different) have a birthday between the end of August and the beginning of January. Now is the time of year that I stop knitting for myself and start saving money and stashing for my loved ones. So of course, I just cast on for another sweater for myself while I already have one in progress. (I'm falling in love with Rowan one stitch at a time).


Anyway, I 'm in the midst of a first attempt at scribble lace. It blew my mind when I first picked up Unexpected Knitting by Debbie New, and while having fun on knitty I ran across an easy scribble lace pattern. The mohair is Colinette, and it's paired with Cascade's Baby Alpaca Chunky - so soft! It's coming along great, except for the fact that I hate working with size 15 needles and I feel like my arms are flailing around when I knit. There is the aspect of rather instant gratification because it knits up so quickly, but working with mohair and a huge needle with a rather blunt tip really sucks. But still, it's pretty.



Tomorrow I am driving to Birmingham for my cousin's wedding with my family. Mom, Dad, sis, bro-in-law, bro, sis-in-law, and I are all piling into sis's SUV for the ride. Yeah, we're crazy. Just because a car seats 7, it doesn't mean that's a good idea. I'm already having flashbacks of being in the back seat of mom's oldsmobile wagon while my brother and sister try to hit each other and end up hitting me because I'm in the middle.

Naturally, the scribble lace won't work on this car trip because I don't want to elbow my siblings the whole drive, but I still need something to knit on. (can you tell that this is a lame justification of buying a bunch of yarn?) It's payday, so I bought several skeins of Rowan's Felted Tweed today for the Tangled Yoke Cardigan in the fall '07 issue of Interweave Knits. After mad swatching to figure out what needles to buy before the yarn store closed, I picked up some Addi Lace needles and came home to play with it before going out tonight. New projects make everything better - even long car rides in heels and a strapless dress - and if the siblings make me crazy, I'll just poke them with my knitting needles. If only I had learned to knit as a child...

1 comment:

Betty said...

The scribble lace looks fantastic! What color of Felted Tweed did you buy?