Tuesday, February 5, 2008

It was a dark and stormy night...

It's downright nasty outside. The news is talking about gusts up to 100mph and 2" hail. The scary part is that this isn't even the big bad storm - that one will hit us in a few hours. Now they're talking about a super-cell thunderstorm that's right over us, and a house was leveled about 15 miles away.

I live in a really old house with lots of windows, so I'm now at a friend's house who has a basement. The neighbors (who are all good friends) have started to pile in and we're having a storm party - and I'm the girl blogging in the corner.

Remember Benjie, the guy who got the awesome fair isle hat? He just commented that this post could be my last communication on earth. Thanks, man.

The best part of watching storm coverage on tv is the names for storm tracking devices. Our local CBS affiliate has named their radar system "TITANscan". Nice.


Before the storm arrived, I embarked on a pretty big project. I recently inherited a very nice oriental rug. It's absolutely gorgeous, but is not my favorite colors. At the moment, it is hanging out in the hall outside my door.

A plan has been hatching in my brain. Everyone lately is obsessed with the Babette Blanket, and I am too. A few customers have brought the finished product to the store, and it is amazing. So I'm making myself a big babette - using Cascade 220 instead of Koigu, so the squares will be bigger.

So how do you match yarn colors with a huge rug? I devised a plan. It turned out to be a little harder than imagined.

First, I had to see the rug in my hall. The problem is that our light bulbs are out at the moment, so I brought in 2 lamps.


Once the rug was properly lit, I made a list of the main colors.


Second, find a way to match the yarn to the rug. I can't bring the rug into work and hold it up to our wall of 220. And I can't grab one of each of the 80-something colors we have and bring them home either. So I stole the color cards and brought them home! This is definitely one of those things that you only get to do when you work at the yarn store. (Notice my awesome doormat in the bottom of the picture?)


This process also took a lot longer than expected. Once I've figured out which colors match the rug, I'll play with the selection, add some colors that are more my style, and choose the final 17. This should be fun.

Alright I am so scattered right now - between trying (in vain) to write a coherent post, watching news coverage, and making fun of Benjie, my mind is not in the right place to post.

Now they're talking about dorms being demolished at Union University, students still trapped in storms, and a 22-semi pileup, this is scary. And to think that I turned on the tv a few hours ago to check election coverage.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

That's IT you brilliant woman you! You know that I have wanted a Babette Blanket forever but the thought of crocheting all those little squares with all that little yarn was more than I could take.

Hallelujah to you!

xoxo

Tracy said...

You are amazing Emily!!!! Too talented, can't ya share a bit of that?!

Also, YOU'VE BEEN TAGGED EMILY, visit my blog to find out how to play.

I hope to see you Thursday!