Friday, October 26, 2007

Blocking Makes Everything Better


Blocking does make everything better, but this time I'm not talking about making the scarf prettier (although that is quite true). Blocking makes me feel better. It means that I've finished a project and washed it and it's waiting for its new owner, and I am so sick of that lace pattern. It was a lot of fun, but I knitted 20 inches in the last 48 hours to finish it on time. I thrive under pressure.

When it rains, it pours. I'm sick. I also have a nasty toothache, and with my soft, chalky, crappy teeth and history of emergency root canals, I'm freakin out a little. My hot water heater went out this morning. I called my landlord early this morning, but he decided not to check his messages. I finally reached him this afternoon but it was too late to get it replaced today so I'm s**t out of luck until Monday. There's enough going on right now to make my nerves shot to hell. I'm exhausted and jumpy and had a rough spider experience this evening (apparently if you spray a spider with Pledge, it doesn't die. You have to throw it, along with the shoe it's clinging to, out of the door and into the hall because you just can't deal with it right now.) And, because of my general sicky demeanor I had to turn down a ticket to see Widespread Panic at the Ryman tonight. Ouch. Really big Ouch. Enough bitchin.

Life has been so good to me in the past couple of years. There have been hard times, tough decisions, and minor pitfalls, but in the grand scheme of things I am so incredibly blessed. When it rains, it pours, then life goes on. But the good times definitely outweigh the bad. I'm starting to feel better. Tylenol dulled the toothache just enough. I have the greatest job in the entire universe. I also have the greatest family and friends who are always there for me. I have the cutest nephews on the planet. The weekend is almost here. I'm meeting Crazy Aunt Purl soon. My new sis-in-law is celebrating her first birthday as my brother's wife, and she's definitely something to celebrate. I'm going to a bonfire party at my best friend's house tomorrow night. All of that makes up for having to wake up extra early and go to my parent's house to take a shower in the morning because my landlord won't pay extra money to get a new hot water heater put in on a weekend. Sorry, I'm still pissed about that.

But Monday night I'll have something to be thankful for, something that I take for granted every day - a new hot water heater. Maybe I needed to learn how to appreciate it. If only I could learn to appreciate spiders, but I'll tackle that another day.

No comments: