Monday, October 15, 2007

It is what it is

As my good friend Sheila says, it is what it is. When life sucks, you deal with it. And when I've been dealing with it so much and am just about dealt out, I knit.

So tonight I turned off my phone and locked the doors and poured a big ole glass of good tea and sat down to unwind. I knitted the entire yoke of Buddha Bear's first birthday sweater and had to take a chocolate break with 4 rows left. I don't know what it is about knitting that just melts away the stress and worry in life. There's the rhythm, meditation, and getting lost in what you're doing, but there's also something more than that. You're making something that will make someone happy, and in the process you're easing your own troubles. So I knit. I still worry, and am still so tense that my shoulders are up to my ears, but they've dropped about a quarter of an inch. After a good night's sleep in my own bed maybe they'll drop a little more.

I once heard a story about theologian Martin Luther. When his life was at its toughest, busiest, and most demanding, a friend asked him how he was dealing with his lack of prayer time. Martin Luther was astonished. He replied that when life was tough, he had to pray up to 5 hours a day just to deal with it. He recognized what he needed, when he needed it. We seek solace in prayer, knitting, dark chocolate (one of my personal favorites) and whatever it is that makes us happy. Thank God for prayer, knitting, and dark chocolate all at the same time. So tomorrow morning I'll wake up early to get in some extra quiet time - knitting, coffee, and prayer.

Before the insanity began, I did finish something - Benji's hat. His birthday is tomorrow.



I wish I could post a picture of me patting myself on the back. I actually tried to take a picture of the hat on my head, but they all looked terrible and I gave up. Again, next month I'm expecting a really thoughtful and amazing birthday present from Benji.

Also, here's a sneak peek at Buddha Bear's sweater:



Except for some pattern glitches I've really enjoyed knitting this. I first frogged because after turning to work the neck placket there were too many even rows between decreases, then I frogged again a couple rows later with I realized that the placket wasn't centered - it was 2 stitches to the left. I was made fun of by friends for being a perfectionist, but it has to be damn near perfect if it's for my sweet Bear (or "Bay-uh" as his proud big brother calls him). At first I was bored with the stockinette, but it turns out that tonight it's just what I needed.

1 comment:

Alicia Aarnio said...

Your fair isle looks awesome! I want to make a fair isle snowflake doggie sweater... I'll probably bug you for help :)

On dealing- definitely feeling you. I've pulled a few 16 hour days in a row now, and running on 10 hours of sleep (over 3 days)... I could use some tea and knitting! I had some Yogi tea today and the little message on the tea bag paper pull thingy totally made my day Zen:

"Your strength is in how calmly, quietly, and peacefully you face life."

I can't believe I was completely mellowed out by a tea bag. :hugs!: Hopefully I'll see you Thursday! I'll bring my laptop with me and just finish my poster there if I have to! :)