Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Shaky Mojo

My knitting mojo is a little off, and I think I figured out why - I'm only (actively) working on 2 projects right now, and it's just not enough. I've been finishing a lot lately, but have been bad about taking pictures.

I finished Buddha Bear's birthday sweater and it was a huge success. The nephews thought it was soft, and the rest of the family was very impressed. I want one just like it. I promise to dress him up in it and take a good picture soon.

I felted some clogs / slippers Sunday night for my friend Nick, and left my camera at home. I'll get a pic soon. Normally I put some puff paint on the soles of slippers for traction, but it's still not good to wear them outside without further protection. He and I were brainstorming about our sole-covering options, and I like the idea of sewing on faux-leather soles - they'll protect the sole without taking away from the design. Being the inventive crazy man that he is, Nick now wants to find some sort of liquid rubber that will harden and bond to the slipper without cracking once it's set. He's researching using bedliner (for trucks) paint and is kind of scaring me. He's not touching those clogs until he's sure that it will work, and has experimented on other fabrics. If he ruins this gift, he'll have to make the next pair himself - without my help. Any ideas anyone?

I have one gift with a deadline that is going along nicely. It's for my sis-in-law whose birthday is tomorrow, but we can't all get together to celebrate until Sunday (why did we have to schedule this during the Titans game? Can't we eat birthday lunch on trays in the den? Do you people not know me at all?) Actually, I'll miss a game for Jaime because she is absolutely wonderful and I am still so so happy that she's family now. I'm really digging the wool bamboo yarn, and the stitch pattern is just interesting enough. I'm a little over halfway done. And it's the most beautiful shade of green.


Last week I fell in love with some Schaefer Yarn - Lola - in a one of a kind colorway. Cheryl Schaefer visited my LYS and place of employment on Sunday, and I had a blast! One of the many perks of working at a yarn store is that you get to really hang out with any special guests that might come to town, and she's funny! It's a clapotis, pattern altered for a scarf. I might be the only knitter who has not made this, so here's my attempt.


Speaking of special guests, I get to meet Laurie (aka Crazy Aunt Purl) in one week!

In order to regain the knitting mojo, I bought yarn for a new project today. When I showed Benji's hat to the nephews, Hoss (the 2-year-old) ran around saying "Hat! Hat! Hat!" and Baby Buddha put it on and pulled it over his face and said "Pee-boo" (short for peek-a-boo). I asked Hoss if he wanted a hat and he firmly replied "Yesssssss!" He wants yellow, but my family looks scary in that color, so he's getting blue to match his eyes.

These 2 boys are 13 months apart and already fight over toys. I'm not sure if I should make 2 hats the same color, or maybe knit one with oatmeal snowflakes on blue, and another with blue snowflakes on oatmeal. They'll be the same size, so I guess they could switch it up every once in a while. They're not twins, but are very close in age (and size). The color selection in Cascade 220 is much better, but I ended up choosing Encore because it's washable. I try to help my sister out whenever I can.

So I'm starting with one that's oatmeal snowflakes on blue, and we'll see what I do with the second. I'm using another pattern from Charlene Schurch's book "Hats On!" - this time it's the Norwegian Star - Hoss picked it out himself. I'm so proud that those boys love my knitting! I'll enjoy it while it lasts.


It's raining and raining and raining here, and I'm glad because we desperately need it but am already sick of the dreariness. So I bought some new nail polish and painted my toes, and they're so fun I had to share a picture. It was hard to get a good shot (and I'm a terrible photographer) but they're a bright, electric blue. Gotta love the little things that make you smile.

1 comment:

Alicia Aarnio said...

I haven't made a clapotis yet! :) I have thought about it, though. As for the clog soles, there does exist a plastic flexi-coat stuff that comes in a can, it's a liquid, and it dries into a friction-ful surface. It's more for stuff like handles of tools, like pliers, but we've used it for all sorts of things (like covering the tips of dishwasher rack prongs when the plastic coating wore off, so it wouldn't rust). I'm not sure how it would hold up to walking around outside, but it would work indoors just fine, I'm sure.

I hope you get your mojo back, and I hope you write up your snowflake hat(s) into a pattern so I can make some too :)