Saturday, October 27, 2007

Bring on the Pain

Alright, that's it. I've had it with this crap. I think I finally fell asleep at 6am after tossing and turning all night while my tooth was throbbing. So I called my trusty dentist - the most amazing dentist on the planet - and he told me what I already knew. I need a root canal.

There is a teeny tiny chance that I don't, and I'm going in for x-rays first thing Monday morning and will hopefully get an appointment for the root canal on Monday.

It could be much worse. My first root canal was on Memorial Day weekend and my dentist was out of town and it took 3 days with no painkillers for me to finally get help. The second was on New Year's Eve. That night was fun. I was the most loopy of all my friends and I'm the one that puked when we got home even though I didn't drink a sip of alcohol. Thank the Lord for hydrocodone.

This time it's Halloween, but the dental offices are open. I picked up antibiotics and painkillers today and left work early and came home to attempt some knitting. Before the meds took effect I got some work done on the fair isle hat, but am probably going to start a new pair of socks in a really easy stitch.

The thing about root canals is that by the time you get one, you're so happy to have your nerves deadened that a really sore mouth is not so bad. You've been in so much pain already that you don't mind swollen gums, achy teeth, and not being able to eat solid food.

The tooth still hurts, but I'm pretty loopy and am just laughing about the absurdity of the situation. I talked to Carrie for a while and she said that I have a very "Zen" attitude, so that's a good sign.

1 comment:

Alicia Aarnio said...

Oh, man! I totally feel you! I was actually just talking to my parents about getting my wisdom teeth out.. I'll probably be getting it done in the next two months :( Boo to dental care, and I hope whatever they do on Monday relieves your pain!