Tuesday, October 9, 2007

UFO Wrangling


First of all, here are some beautiful purpley-blue irises. And some yellow and white things. I forget their names. Having flowers around makes everything a little brighter, and I love to treat myself sometimes, although I go for the cheap stuff.


It's time to lasso some UFO's and whip them into shape. Here's the status check:


Big Snugs from Pick Up Sticks. They've been mostly finished for a while, but I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the sole. I picked up some faux leather at the fabric store and was ready to make my own soles, but of course, I brought the fabric to work and left it there. Whoops. While I am still honing photography skills, the light color is actually baby blue, and the brown is a dark espresso. Also, while I am paler than most people on this planet, this pic makes me look glow-in-the-dark. I'll blame the flash for the pastiness.


Here's the second sleeve of the Tangled Yoke Cardigan. Sorry, but you're on hold. Gifts (with deadlines) take precedence.


The lace cardigan out of Alpaca Silk is on super-hold, stuffed in a drawer with some chocolate organic cotton and an almost-finished sock. I'll get back to it soon.


One felted clog down, one to go! And it matches my little rug so well. While this thing is enormous, it's knit on big needles and I did the entire top in a couple hours. My hands need a break from this one for a night or 2.


This scarf is a gift that is due in a few weeks. I originally did another lacey leaf pattern from one of the Barbara Walker treasuries, but it went so slow and I kept having to tink my mistakes. I restarted last night and it's working up quick. I'm also head over heels in love with the yarn - Wool BamBoo by Classic Elite. It's like butter.


This is fabric for little Buddha (younger nephew). He's going as Bam Bam for Halloween and doesn't need a costume because he fits the part so well. He's on the verge of walking and will probably slim down once he starts moving more. I'll be able to whip out his costume in a night, and have more pressing matters.


The hat for Benji is going great! I've tried it on more guys and it should definitely fit. This deadline is October 16th, and the end is in sight.

There are 2 more gifts that need to be done asap and I haven't even bought the yarn yet. Little Buddha is turning 1 soon, and needs his own cashmere sweater. I'm thinking about the Child's Placket-Neck Pullover from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. The gauge is right to use Cash Vero or Cashsoft DK, and it should work up quick. I'll buy yarn tomorrow.

The other gift is to make up for the fact that I hated the scribble lace. It's a pain to deal with, the big needles make me mad, and it's just not right for the recipient in mind. Since I was leafing through Last Minute Knitted Gifts, I think I'll use the Colinette mohair for the Airy Scarf. It's in the 2-4 hour gifts chapter, so I'll knock it out in a night.

Wow. This list is a little overwhelming. I think I'll drag out Benji's hat because it is closest to the end. It always feels good to cross something off the list.

The thing about having so many UFO's is that it's not overwhelming. This is how I do my best work. I have to have something simple, something complicated, something lacey, and something different going on at the same time. My UFO list is a little long at the moment, but knitting gifts is the best feeling in the world. Right now I'm thinking about all of these people that I love so much and how much fun it is to spoil them.

1 comment:

Alicia Aarnio said...

mmm. Ufo's :) A cardi out of BSA Alpaca & Silk? DELICIOUS!! I've had one in the color "Slate" in the back of my mind for a while now.. I finished Wicked last night (will post pics soon) so I'm ready to start something else to keep the net number of wip's and ufo's constant ;)